The concept of Web3 revolves around a decentralized internet where users have control over their own operations rather than being controlled by centralized entities. In recent years, Web3 has been focused on achieving this vision of decentralization through its latest trends and innovations.
Web3 has made significant advancements in various sectors, including digital art technology, artificial intelligence, social networks, and gaming.
This article provides a brief overview of Web3 and its applications. Also, it examines the top trends and innovations of Web3 in 2022.
What is Web3?
Web3 refers to the third generation of the World Wide Web, which is centred on the use of decentralized technologies such as blockchain and peer-to-peer networks to enable new forms of communication and engagement on the internet.
It is designed to be autonomous and intelligent, utilizing technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), Big Data, and decentralized ledger technology (DLT) to allow websites and apps to process information in a human-like way and interpret content conceptually and contextually.
Applications of Web3
Web3 is a better version of the internet that seeks to return control to users, with its key principles based on blockchain and cryptocurrency technology. Web3 is used in a variety of applications, including:
- Metaverse: A virtual reality environment that combines the physical and virtual worlds. The metaverse promotes unrestricted access for all individuals and gives users complete control over their experiences. Web3’s ecosystem and networking capabilities can be utilized by metaverse initiatives to provide users with a more decentralized experience. Web3 also enhances the metaverse with technologies such as the Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI), allowing for greater realism within the virtual world.
- Blockchain Gaming: One of Web3’s most visible applications is in blockchain-based games. These games enable the movement of in-game assets to other games, the monetization of producers, and the use of NFTs to allocate ownership of in-game goods such as avatars, skins, tools, and more. Another notable feature of blockchain-based games is the play-to-earn models available to users.
- Creator Economy: Web3 principles allow creators, such as developers, artists, and musicians, to collaborate directly with their followers and supporters without the need for intermediaries. Followers and supporters can also obtain exclusive ownership of the creator’s work. Additionally, NFT owners can utilize smart contracts to track secondary sales and receive royalty commissions.
- Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs): DAOs rely on member consensus and utilize Web3’s decentralization and automation features. DAOs use smart contracts to count votes and make decisions without human intervention, ensuring that the organization’s rules cannot be changed by a single person or centralized entity.
- Decentralized Finance (DeFi): DeFi platforms improved their infrastructure and associated capabilities by leveraging Web3 features. Web3 provides various advantages to DeFi, including access to an open-source ecosystem, lower transaction fees, more efficient transaction processing, and more transparent and automated governance.
The Best Web3 Innovations And Trends In 2022
Several significant Web3 innovations and trends emerged in 2022; here are some of the top ones:
Non-fungible tokens, or NFTs, took on various forms in 2022, including iNFTs, audio NFTs, and in-game NFTs.
iNFTs, in particular, stood out as they utilized artificial intelligence to provide infrastructure support. It is believed that iNFTs could eventually reach human-level intelligence.
Audible digital ownership is also gradually gaining traction in the music industry. This new creator economy empowers producers to own their own content without the need for intermediaries or third parties, such as music streaming companies and concert promoters. It grants creators complete control over their content.
The GameFi ecosystem is another form of NFTs that trended last year. It enabled gamers to monetize their gameplay by integrating financial processes into games, creating a new revenue stream for those who put time and effort into them.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a broad field of computer science concerned with the development of intelligent computers capable of doing activities that typically require human intelligence.
AI is simply the process of creating intelligent machines. AI has made significant progress in various fields in recent years and is expected to have an even greater impact in the coming decades.
AI is utilized in various fields to provide insights into user behaviour and suggestions based on data. It is constantly evolving and being applied in multiple disciplines. There are currently several examples of AI in Web3, such as the website Suggesto, which uses AI to suggest new content to users based on their interests, and Presearch, a search engine that uses AI to improve search results by taking into account a user’s preferences and history.
As more people explore the potential of AI in Web3, we can expect to see even more innovative applications for this technology.
Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs)
Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs) are a way to democratize the management structure of companies, initiatives, and communities that use them. Members of these organizations, which are native to the internet and built on blockchain technology, can vote on organizational decisions.
The term “Decentralized Autonomous Organizations” refers to a concept that aims to streamline organizational activities and processes using “smart contracts” with clearly defined and transparent rules. DAOs enable decentralization in Web3 projects and protocols. Members can participate in decision-making and voting through these organizations and also have access to a platform for decentralized ownership.
DAOs have gained popularity recently, with the increasing popularity of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology becoming more prominent in the tech industry. Projects such as Aave, MakerDAO, and Uniswap trended as top DAOs in the Web3 space in 2022.
The concept of “Move-to-Earn” (M2E) is gaining popularity in the world of cryptocurrency. This model rewards users with cryptocurrency for participating in physical activity, such as walking, jogging, or exercising. This is in contrast to “Play-to-Earn” (P2E) cryptocurrencies, which monetize gaming activities.
StepN, a Web3 lifestyle app launched in September 2021, popularized the term “Move-to-Earn.” The app rewards users with cryptocurrency and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) for participating in fitness activities. M2E combines the concepts of GameFi and NFTs with GPS technology on users’ mobile phones or tracking devices. As users’ mobility data is recorded on the blockchain, they are compensated with NFTs or in-app tokens. These tokens can be exchanged for other services on the app or traded for other cryptocurrencies on the app’s marketplace or an exchange platform.
While the amount earned through M2E apps may not be significant enough to be considered a primary source of income, they can serve as a motivation and reward system for continued use. Ginopets, StepN, DeFit, Fitment, and many other popular M2E apps are leading the M2E trend in 2022
Decentralized social networks
In 2022, one of the goals of the Web3 movement was to create a decentralized social network. These platforms, built on blockchain technology, are designed to protect users from censorship, promote free speech, and securely protect user data.
Unlike traditional social media networks that are controlled by a central authority, decentralized networks operate on autonomous servers or nodes.
Decentralized social media platforms offer a unique alternative to centralized media platforms. Web3 supporters believe that a decentralized network would resist censorship, unlike platforms like Meta (formerly Facebook), WhatsApp, Instagram, and Twitter, which control what can be shared on their platforms.
- Web3 is the third generation of the World Wide Web, which is focused on creating a decentralized internet for users. In 2022, Web3 made significant progress in both past and present innovations.
- We witnessed the development of non-fungible tokens with the emergence of concepts such as iNFTs, audio NFTs, and in-game NFTs.
- New ways of earning cryptocurrency have also gained popularity through Move-to-Earn games, encouraging users to live a healthy lifestyle.
- As many of Web3’s trends advance new digital spheres, such as artificial intelligence and DAOs, to power various new technological ideas for the 21st century, it will inevitably become a crucial part of our daily lives.
Disclaimer: This article is intended solely for informational purposes and should not be considered trading or investment advice. Nothing herein should be construed as financial, legal, or tax advice. Trading or investing in cryptocurrencies carries a considerable risk of financial loss. Always conduct due diligence.
“Take control of your crypto portfolio with MARKETS PRO, DeFi Planet’s suite of analytics tools.”